Tuesday, March 20, 2012
While John and Caroline were at softball practice Sunday, Elizabeth and I stayed home to do our weekly cooking for meal swap. I made roast and gravy (and a big mess on the stove!) As I was cleaning the stovetop, I took off the knobs to wipe up under them and got something wet that I shouldn't have. The gas stove started clicking, like I was trying to turn it on and there were sparks! It may have been my imagination (must have been), but I thought I smelled gas. I dialed John on the phone but my mind was racing and I realized that I had not time to waste if this was a gas emergency. I didn't want my husband to be on the phone with me, with my daughter in the backyard (I sent her out and opened both doors), and hear me blown to smithereens. I hung up and dialed 911. As the fire truck started on its way, a firefighter on the phone talked me through what to do. John was trying to call me back as I was on the phone with the fire station, and then I heard the sirens. I said something about it to the guy on the phone, and he had the others downgrade the call to a Level 1 and turn off the sirens and lights. It was a very fast adventure. I feel silly, but gas is scary, and I didn't want to take any chances.
To thank the nice folks who came to make sure we were safe, Elizabeth and I baked them cookies and delivered them to the fire station yesterday.
After we left, she asked if we could bake them cookies and go there again!
Posted by Amanda Bindel at 10:57 AM
Saturday, March 17, 2012
Thursday, March 15, 2012
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
We spent the morning at a farm just outside of Austin today. Elizabeth milked a cow, fed some chickens, saw a newborn calf, less than an hour after it was born, made homemade ice cream with fresh eggs and milk, and had s'mores (she chose to eat the components of her s'mores individually.) Her favorite part, she said, was seeing the newborn calf.
Posted by Amanda Bindel at 4:36 PM